Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said here today that though Punjab was convulsed by drug addiction and liquor consumption, the teachings of its saints and social reformers offered a silver lining for it to reclaim its glorious past.
Speaking at a function after releasing a book, ‘Baba Iqbal Singh – Mission to Reboot Punjab through Value-based Education’, Manmohan Singh said the Gurus had contributed towards the transformation of India through their teachings.
Stressing the need for the state’s holistic development, he highlighted the importance of spiritual and value-based education.
The Kalgidhar Society – Baru Sahib is a non-profit charitable organisation focussed on providing quality education to fight against the alarming rise in drugs and alcohol abuse. With equal stress on Healthcare, Women Empowerment and Social Welfare, the organisation has been instrumental in the socio-economic uplift of the poor in the far-flung rural areas of North India.
The former PM praised educationist Baba Iqbal Singh and his NGO, the Kalgidhar Society, which runs a chain of schools under the aegis of Akal academies. The society has its headquarters at Baru Sahib in Himachal Pradesh. It manages 130 schools in Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan.
Baba Iqbal Singh said Akal academies provided education on the lines of traditional Gurukuls.
Punjab Finance Minister Manpreet Singh Badal, Congress MP Ranjeet Ranjan and former MP Tarlochan Singh were among the others who addressed the gathering.
Manpreet said: “I am sad to see today’s Punjab and am deeply concerned about its future. Our ‘mother’ has become weak and its sons have turned into addicts.”
Supreme Court Bar Association president Rupinder Singh Suri, Padma Bhushan awardee Isher Judge Ahluwalia and corporate honcho Sunil Kant Munjal also attended the event.
Testimonials / What Our Guests Say
- Very good event and extremely well organized. Our pleasure to be able to join you!
- Thanks To all who organised the event and taking Baru Sahib to international level. Much impressed by Baba ji and Dr Manmohan Singh Speech
- Congratulations on the good work. It was a pleasure to be there yesterday. Regards
- Myself & my wife (Veena Vinayek). Conveys our heart full thanks to you for inviting us at the time of launching the book on “Mission to Reboot Punjab” by Hon’ble Baba Iqbal Singh ji” by our Ex-Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh ji. The whole program was a great success, very well planned & Executed. Please convey our regards to every body for their dedicated services. With all our best wishes. Please let me know if I can be of any service any place in your great organization (kalgidhar). Thanking you.
- Thank you for your email what I expressed in the function was all what I studied for last many years. Baba ji has set the ball rolling and it is up to all his admirers to keep on the mission and spread it all over. This should be the agenda of every Sikh.
- I would like to thank BabaJi, You and the entire TKTS for having faith in me and allowing me to contribute in my small but unique way.
Proud to be associated with TKTS.
Also kindly call me once you are free to discuss in starting Akal Academy in Mumbai.
- Unfortunately I will not be able to attend on such a short notice. Will tell my Son ….Satveer Singh to attend on my behalf. He is very excited to meet Baba ji.
Baba ji could remember him well as the Dastar was tied in Gurudwara by Baba ji.
- Thanks Ruby for the opportunity.
What’s imp from now is how u treat this as a spring board for the second innings of Akal Academy.
If a plan is not put in place soon u may loose the momentum.
I would suggest that a robust plan for 500 schools should be ready in 3 months.
Foundations have a lot of money.
- Date: April 9, 2017
- Category: Baru Sahib