Guru Hargobind Sahib ji (1595-1644) Guruship: 1606-1644 CHILDREN Gurdita Ji, Ani Rai, Tegh Bahadur, Atal Rai, Suraj Mal & Bibi Viro Ji AGE, YEAR & TIME AT GUR GADHI 05/25/1606, 38 Years REGIMES Jehangir & Shah Jahan AGE 49 JYOTI-JOT DAY 19 Mar 1644 JYOTI JOT PLACE Kiratpur Sahib Born July 5, 1595, Guru Ki […]
Guru Hargobind Sahib ji (1595-1644)
|CHILDREN||Gurdita Ji, Ani Rai, Tegh Bahadur, Atal Rai, Suraj Mal & Bibi Viro Ji|
|AGE, YEAR & TIME AT GUR GADHI||05/25/1606, 38 Years|
|REGIMES||Jehangir & Shah Jahan|
|JYOTI-JOT DAY||19 Mar 1644|
|JYOTI JOT PLACE||Kiratpur Sahib|
|Born||July 5, 1595, Guru Ki Wadali, Amritsar,Punjab, India|
|Other names||The Sixth Master|
|Known for||Building the Akal Takhat, First Guru to engage in warfare and advising the Sikhs to take part in the military training and martial arts, establishing Miri Piri.|
|Predecessor||Guru Arjun Dev|
|Successor||Guru Har Rai|
|Spouse(s)||Mata Nanaki, Mata Mahadevi, and Mata Damodari|
|Children||Baba Gurdita, Baba Suraj Mal, Baba Ani Rai, Baba Atal Rai,Guru Tegh Bahadur, and Bibi Biro|
|Parents||Guru Arjan Dev & Mata Ganga|
The following is a summary of the main highlights of Guru Har Gobind ji’s life:
- Transformed the Sikh fraternity by introducing martial arts and weapons for the defence of the masses following his father’s martyrdom.
- Militarised the Sikh movement – carried two swords of Miri and Piri.
- Built the Akal Takht in 1608 – which is now one of five Takhts (Seats of Power) of the Sikhs.
- Founded the city of Kiratpur in District Jalandhar, Punjab.
- He was imprisoned in the fort of Gwalior for one year and on release insisted that 52 fellow prisoners be freed as well. To mark this occasion, the Sikhs celebrate Bandi Chhor Divas.
- The first Guru to engage in warfare.
- Fought four battles against the Mughal rulers.
- The city Hargobindpur, in Majha region of Punjab, is named after him, which he won over from Mughals after defeating them in a battle.